The mission of The Brighter Side of Down Syndrome (TBODS) is to enhance the quality of life for people with Down syndrome and their families. They promote awareness, understanding and
acceptance of Down syndrome in San Joaquin County through educational,
social and support/connection groups.
- New Parents Outreach: Personal contact is made to extend support to parents with newborn or adopted children who have been given the diagnosis of Down syndrome. A TBODS' bag with books, DVD and other informative materials are given at no cost
- Buddy Walk: This is their only fundraising event each year. They host the one-mile walk that promotes understanding and acceptance of Down syndrome. The day includes a lunch and t-shirt to all who register
- Informational Lending Library: They are currently in the process of purchasing children's books, informational books, DVDs, and other pertinent information regarding Down syndrome for parents to borrow
- Monthly Support/Connection Meetings: They usually have one meeting or event each month for families to attend. They provide child care led by an adult with CPR and Standard First Aid certification with assistance by local high school and college age students. A dinner is provided at most of these meetings along with an informational speaker or panels on topics regarding Down syndrome. Some meetings are theme based, such as Kite Flying Day or Harvest Fest which enables families to enjoy social fun and time for verbal interactions in a non-threatening manner
- Annual Winter Social and Summer Picnic: Each December, TBODS hosts a Winter Holiday Social with a wonderful dinner and pictures with Santa Claus. In the summer, TBODS hosts an Annual Family Picnic at Micke Grove Park in Lodi